Dreams have always held a lot of fascination for me, once I learned not to be frightened by them like as a child. As an adult, I have tried to “read” them for clues that my subconscious is trying to tell me.
I know that the subconscious reveals its secrets in code, it just doesn’t step up and say, “Hey, you have taken the wrong career path, it is causing us stress here!” No, it puts me in a scenario where I am going down a Road, let’s say Road A, but I am looking for Road B, and I know it is around here somewhere, just a block over, but I can’t get there!
My other favorite is I am late, usually for work, and I keep getting distracted from getting there. I can’t find my clothes, can’t find my keys, the door is nailed shut, on and on I go. I seem to be struggling to reach my destination, I am hours late, I am getting stressed, angry, frustrated and I wake up feeling all of that.
That brings me to last night’s dream, it is the frustrating kind, I know there are lots of symbols, I am trying to accomplish a simple task and it goes on and on. Here are my “symbols”:
– I am in a location that is not safe, in downtown Louisville, there are rough looking street people and I know I have to get out of there.
– I have an important document I need to get to an individual, I can’t seem to find her, I make repeated calls and get no help so I have to go to her office, still in Louisville.
– Once there, I learn I still can’t locate the person, I have to ship the document to her. And then the frustration escalates.
– I can’t copy the address down because I have no paper, I have no pen, I can’t read it, it is outrageously long and complicated, the person keeps distracting me, I keep misplacing my paper and have to start over again and again.
– She can’t give me the address of where we are located.
– There are beds in the offices.
– There are peep holes in the walls.
– There are complex chains of command that she can’t explain.
– Searching my purse for pens I find all kinds of things, poetry I have written, food, food wrapped up in poetry, hardware, nails, again, it goes on and on.
I never accomplish my task and I wake up tired and frustrated.
I do understand the differences between your conscious and subconscious. I believe in the idea that if you are struggling with a decision or a complicated problem, study it in depth before you go to sleep. Your subconscious will continue to work on it while you sleep making it more understandable when you rise. I also believe the subconscious notices more than you do consciously sometimes causing what at first appears to be a knee-jerk reaction; them later you realize your gut was trying to tell you something you hadn’t picked up on just yet. (My knee-jerk reactions have gotten me into trouble with bosses and peers; but often revealed something I would later figure out on my own.)
Your “gut” is trying to tell you something, believe in it!
So now I am here analyzing my dreams once again. What does this one mean? Does it reveal fact or fear? Is it my journey in the past or in the future?
All I know is I’m still tired and now I am afraid to go back to bed for fear I will dream again!